19 January 2010

Old Bread, New Life

Breadcrumbs are super easy to make and have on hand for the next time you need 'em.

I tend to make up a batch every time I have a few extra pieces of bread in a loaf that's getting old or is crusty. Also French Bread loaves make delightful crumbs!

Garlic Bread Crumbs:
--Bread
--Cooking spray
--Garlic salt
--Pepper
--Oregano
--Thyme

If the bread isn't dried out, I leave the bag open for 24 hours to let it get a little crusty.

The rest of the process is really simple!


Coat one side of bread with cooking spray. Douse with your favorite spices (mine are listed above). Flip bread over and repeat.

Place on baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees until bread toasts (but doesn't burn).


Remove from oven. Allow to cool. Place in a food processor or blender and pulse until desired consistency. I like to beat my crumbs by hand with a mallet by placing the bread in a ziplock bag and taking out all my aggression on it... But that's just me.

Store these bad boys in a ziplock bag in your freezer for several months.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment