23 June 2010

Are You Going To Scarborough Fair?

So there I am, standing in a strange kitchen staring at what I have. I have chicken. I have tomatoes. I have decided to roast them but haven't planned any farther.  Since I'm housesitting I open the spice cabinet to see what else might be at my disposal. And there they were, the four musical spices...

If you're planning to take a trip to Scarborough Fair any time soon (or you just happen to like Simon & Garfunkel) the mention of parsley or sage or rosemary or thyme always makes me hum the tune. And I've used each of these glorious spices (dried and fresh) to make many meals have that extra oomph. But how would all these herbal powerhouses taste together?

Really, really good as it turned out.

Roasted Chicken & Romas
--1 cup brown rice
--1/4 cup vegetable broth
--8 roma tomatoes
--4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (any additional visible fat removed)
--2 TBSP olive oil
--parsley
--sage
--rosemary
--thyme
--salt and pepper

Cook rice according to package directions, substituting 1/4 cup of the water with vegetable broth.

Core the tomatoes and cut a small X in the bottom of each tomato.  Place the tomatoes and the chicken in an oven-safe dish and coat with the olive oil. Season tomatoes and chicken breasts with the spices.  Cover the dish with aluminum foil and roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


Serve each piece of chicken over the brown rice with two roasted tomatoes. Remove the tomato skin if desired.


Dammit Jim, I'm a cook, not a doctor...
Time: 55 minutes
Serves:4
Calories: 485

No comments:

Post a Comment