06 August 2010

Summer Slaw


In making this slaw, I used the Catholic method of cooking--more commonly known as the "Pour & Pray."

Pause for the terrible joke to sink in... and... moving on!

Seriously though, I'm terrible at measuring things like this so the amounts of the liquids listed below are my best guess of what amounts of each dressing item was mixed together. Generally speaking I really do just pour stuff together and then pray it tastes good. My suggestion for you: Start with a little and add little bits of each of the items used to make the dressing. That way you'll end up with a combination that you like, befitting your tastes (more or less vinegar-y or soy-tastic).

Today's recipe is perfect to take to summer barbecues or potlucks. I made a big batch of this and then forced it upon my coworkers. It's not exactly vegetarian due to the soy sauce and the worcestershire, but you can make it vegetarian (or even vegan) by using fish-free substitutes. Okay, okay, this Asian thing is getting out of hand, I realize! But, uh, it's oh so tasty so how can I stop myself? It was made even more delicious by the fact that all my veggies came out of the garden of the house I was housesitting at!


Asian-Style Summer Slaw
--1 head of cabbage, roughly chopped
--1 large carrot, grated
--1 small sweet onion, vertically sliced
--1 bell pepper, chopped
--fresh cilantro, chopped
--fresh mint, chopped

--1 package uncooked ramen noodles (no flavor packet, noodles only)
--fresh ginger, grated
--fresh garlic, grated
--juice of 1/2 a lemon
--1/4 cup rice vinegar
--3 TBSP soy sauce
--1 TBSP olive oil
--1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce


In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients through the garlic.  In a separate container, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire and olive oil. Vary the amounts of the liquids depending upon your tastes. Pour over the slaw mixture and stir to combine.




Dammit Jim, I'm a cook, not a doctor...
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: ???
Calories: There are about 1000 calories in the whole salad

No comments:

Post a Comment