30 August 2010

Weeknight? Make It Light

Need a quick mid-week meal? Look no further than  your pantry. We all have stand bys (like pasta and store bought sauce or canned soup) that work well for us when we're in a pinch, feeling uninspired, or feel super stressed out. I'm the last of those three right now as I've got big things happening at work currently. But these items don't always hit the spot taste-wise, especially when compared to a homemade meal. So, after a 10+ hour day, I threw open the cupboards and prayed I'd find something easy that didn't taste (or make me feel) like crap.

Hooray for orzo! The seemingly bastard child of rice and pasta (I totally made that up), orzo was the perfect grain for what I needed--fast, tasty, works well with others. The vegetables in my crisper drawer did the rest of the work. A few short minutes I was kicking back, stuffing my face, and slamming down a glass of wine...



Orzo W/ Veggies
--1/4 cup orzo (dry)
--1 TBSP olive oil
--garlic, minced
--small yellow onion, diced
--handful of sliced mushrooms (I used a mixture of oyster, crimini and white mushrooms)
--1 cup or so of kale, chard, or other leafy greens, chopped roughly
--handful of snap peas, ends removed and larger peas snapped in half


Cook the orzo to package directions.

While the orzo cooks, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic and onion until translucent. Add the other veggies and saute until tender.

Put your feet up. Eat!


Dammit Jim, I'm a cook, not a doctor...
Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 1
Calories: 387 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment