02 December 2009

Table 6 Inspired Brussels Sprouts


Table 6 is one of those Denver restaurants that doesn't really need the help of any food writer. The place wins awards all the time (Best of Denver, Top of the Town), and is consistently written up in magazines (Food & Wine, Esquire).

I've eaten there several times over the years but never for brunch. This weekend I changed all that.

Table 6 has brunch Saturdays and Sundays. The brunch starts a little later than most of its fine dining counterparts and runs from 10:30am-2:30pm. The menu changes throughout the season to accommodate the freshest ingredients and seasonal spreads.

We ate Table 6's version of a Benedict: delicious crumpets layered with shredded ham and fresh made hollandaise, swimming along side perfectly poached soft yolk eggs.

I love bennys but hate pre-poached eggs. There's nothing worse to do to a Benedict than force it to live with the shame of an egg that (because it was poached hours ago) is gummy and chunky in the middle.

The eggs at Table 6 are soft poached inside the shell (our waitress, Karen, informed us). Which means each egg is made per order and lovingly placed with the crumpet each and every time. It is a preparation where you can truly taste the difference.

Feeling the need for something "healthy" and green, I also ordered the fried brussels sprouts. I personally would probably eat shoe leather if it was fried, but the sprouts were more sauteed than oil soaked. As I dug my fork in, I noticed each layer gave the hint of a different flavor. First the cheese, then truffles, then a lemon finish.

Here's how I replicated them (not nearly as awesomely) at home:

Fried Brussels Sprouts

--1/2 lb. small brussels sprouts
--olive oil
--garlic
--lemon juice

--shredded manchego cheese
--truffle oil


Rinse the sprouts and remove and discard the outer leaves. Break sprouts up into leaves and smaller chunks of leaves (I chopped mine in half).

Heat olive oil on medium high heat. Saute garlic and sprouts until crunchy and browned. Add olive oil as necessary. While cooking, dash in lemon juice to taste.

Remove from heat and top with shredded manchego. Dot with truffle oil.

Eat!



post signature

1 comment:

  1. We live in dallas but visited Denver this past weekend. We ate at Table 6 and at the servers rec, ordered the brussel sprouts. I have never had anything so delicious (well, besides the barramundi I had the same night). I was trying to find out how to replicate the sprouts and lo and behold, you already did it for me. I'm trying this out this weekend!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete